Engineer, Engine Design
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 3514
Requisition Number: 14419BR
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for leading the design process of Engine related components and systems from concept to production to achieve the product objectives within a specified time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs all design related activities related to component function with emphasis on quality, reliability, timely delivery, cost, and particularly manufacturability; handles level 1 programs with ease.
- Establishes a reasonable project development schedule from concept to production implementation in line with overall business requirements.
- Determines ideal component manufacturing route to ensure overall design, performance, and cost conformance.
- Creates and releases 3D models, detailed drawings (this is unique to PII and very different than other engineering companies) and performs analyses to support the above and supervise as well as participate in their release through the release cycle.
- Prepares preliminary sketches and/or schematic diagrams and/or presentations to aid in the understanding and solution of engineering problems.
- Lead and participate in design reviews to ensure adequate input and involvement from all stakeholder groups.
- Analyzes supplier/manufacturing, test and field problems and recommends possible solutions.
- Assists in the preparation of the monthly project status report.
- Participates in peer teams to share knowledge and expertise.
- Coordinate engineering efforts at supplier locations before, during and after a production launch to ensure specification accuracy and accountability and co-engineer powertrain components
- Performs other miscellaneous project related assignments.
- Coordinate work across multiple global cross functional product teams within (FEA, Supplier Quality) and outside (external design firms) of the Polaris organization.
- Supports run at rates (RARs) at supplier locations
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Required-B.S.M.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or equivalent
- 3-6 years minimum related design experience in an O.E. Environment (title commensurate with experience); 2+ years minimum with an M.S. degree; title commensurate with competence
- Required-experience with a 3-D CAD modeling package, Pro-Engineer preferred.
- Experience with one or more of the following Powertrain Design Categories: Engine Architecture, Power Cylinder, Cranktrain, Cylinder Head, Crankcases, Valvetrain, Intake and Exhaust Systems, Fuel Systems, Lubrication System, Starting and Charging Systems, Transmissions and Gears, Bolted Joint Analysis, Performance Development as related to engine design.
- Creation of original specifications for system performance.
- GD&T, FMEA, DVP&R (design, validation, plan and report) dimensional tolerance stack-ups
- Superior technical knowledge as demonstrated by academic experience and broad practical experience in engine design.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good strategic vision and business knowledge.
- Demonstrated ability to lead major process change in a way that enhances overall corporate performance.
- High level of people skills, able to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work with domestic and international technology partners.
- Microsoft software including Excel, Project, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
Recognized as the leader in the powersports industry, Polaris Industries is a fast growing, innovative, global organization. The people here at Polaris don't just create products - they are part of a lifestyle. It's the passion & execution of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do.
Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) is a global powersports leader that has been fueling the passion of riders, workers and outdoor enthusiasts for more than 60 years. With annual 2017 sales of $5.4 billion, Polaris' innovative, high-quality product line-up includes the RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; the Sportsman® and Polaris ACE® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; and Polaris RMK®, INDY®, Switchback® and RUSH® snowmobiles. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets globally includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. Visit www.polaris.com for more information.
Polaris prides itself on recognizing and developing top talent to take its people and company to the next level. Competitive salary, generous benefits and a comprehensive relocation plan are just a few components of the total compensation package offered at Polaris. Are you ready to join a company where you will work hard and play hard, and be rewarded for your performance?
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Engineer, Engine Design
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US