Engineer - Wheel & Tire Systems
Location: Open, US
Job Number: 2443
Requisition Number: 12146BR
Lead the design, development, and validation of new wheel and tire projects in the Off-Road Vehicles Division. This includes writing detailed specifications to meet the vehicle's need, working with external vendors to design the parts, and creating a detailed DVP&R test plan. Will need to set targets and specifications of based on in-vehicle evaluations and seat time. Frequent communication with Product Management and Industrial Design required. Leading both lab-based tests, as well as, in-field analysis required. In addition, must also work with Service, Purchasing, internal Manufacturing, and external vendors. Position location is flexible.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with project engineers to define tire and wheel requirements and specifications early in vehicle product development process. Lead the development specification and implementation tires and wheels.
- Lead vehicle level tire and wheel integration testing. Ensure vehicle level dynamic compliance testing requirements are met.
- Support manufacturing and field problem resolution. Investigate NPS issues related to wheel and tire systems. Recommend and implement solutions.
- Work with the ORV design group, and outside suppliers to ensure production drawings are accurate and properly dimensioned (using KPC's and GD&T).
- Perform relevant tolerance stack up analysis to ensure clearances are maintained.
- Lead benchmarking activity around tires and wheels.
- Ensure that Polaris off-road vehicles comply with all applicable compliance regulations. Define inflation pressure requirements for pneumatic tire assemblies.
- Create and maintain design guidelines and validation plans.Communicate to project and validation teams. Participate on related peer teams
- Participate and lead rideability reviews at critical stages of the program to ensure vehicle level handling targets are set / met and comparisons to competitive vehicles are available.
- Maintain knowledge of emerging tire and wheel technologies and application that apply to off road vehicles. Identify and prioritize features and concepts that may be patentable and support the patent process.
- Design, validation and production support of lugnut torque processes.
- Support on boarding of new vendors and cost down activities as needed.
- Other Duties as required.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or equivalent required
- Experience with wheels, tires, suspension, and steering preferred
- Ability to ride and assist in tuning / evaluation activities
- Experience with Creo or other 3D CAD system preferred
- Experience with GD&T, FMEA, dimensional tolerance stack-ups and engineering standards preferred
- Data acquisition experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High level of people skills, able to work in a team environment
- Creative, innovative, decisive and prone to action. Quality and customer focused
- Ability to work with domestic and international technology partners
- Microsoft software including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Less than 25% travel will be required
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Engineer - Wheel & Tire Systems
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Open, US