Powertrain Sr. ORV Control Systems Engineer
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 2469
Requisition Number: 12194BR
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead powertrain control systems engineering including control modules, sensors, actuators, motors, low-level drivers, and functional level software for Polaris ORVs working directly with the powertrain calibration leads, chassis, and strategic supplier partners.
- Manage software scope and schedules internally and with supplier partners.
- Lead HARA and FMEA process for powertrain control system including hardware, electrical sensors/actuators/harness, and software.
- Uses experience and engineering principles to develop and specify Powertrain sensors and actuator specifications and application guidelines to meet powertrain control system performance, drivability, emissions, safety requirements for Polaris ORVs.
- Develop, validate and release powertrain calibration workpackages to production for assigned vehicle program(s) with specific focus on component characterization and diagnostics.
- Recommend control system improvements to meet vehicle performance, reliability, quality, and cost targets.
- Participate in controller software meetings, understand engine control module (ECM) software function and recommend / validate algorithm changes.
- Participate in root cause failure analysis during the development process. Find and recommend practical solutions for specific failure modes as related to calibration parameters, or calibration related vehicle performance.
- Create technical and program reports with common format and conclusions supporting PDP deliverables.
- Coordinate testing aspects of engine and vehicle development projects: develop test criteria, systems requirement specifications, create test plans, set goals, objectives and schedules.
- Responsible for data integrity and all technical aspects of the testing process.
- Participate in Calibration Peer Team and adopt calibration processes and ensure Polaris guidelines are met or exceeded.
- Participate in vehicle group development processes to ensure that drivability metrics, applicable limits, test procedures, certification requirements, are achieved.
- Test new or improved powertrain control system components, develop engine integration and work very closely with the other members of the ORV calibration team, design and hardware groups.
- Participate in root cause failure analysis during the development process.Find and recommend practical solutions for specific failure modes as related to calibration parameters, or calibration related vehicle performance.
- Calibration and end-of-line support for specific engine production testing at engine and vehicle assembly plants as required.
- Records and analyzes test data using statistical, analytical, and other state of the art techniques. Research alternatives, and implement solutions to meet powertrain objectives.
- Interact and direct resources at multiple Powertrain and product group engineering sites.
- Support diagnostic system development including service tools, guided diagnostics
- Support the service team to resolve field issues as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BS engineering degree with a minimum of 5 years of engine testing and calibration development related experience. Vehicle integration experience preferred.
- Extensive experience with vehicle controllers, sensors, actuators, software, diagnostic tools, and vehicle CAN.
- Project management experience preferred
- Systems engineering experience including cascading functional requirements, FMEA, DVP&R
- Experience with functional safety including HARA, ISO26262 and ASIL/MSIL experience a plus
- Knowledge of Otto and Diesel engine cycles
- Knowledge and experience with data analysis techniques and tools including Excel, Matlab, Concerto, Minitab, etc.
- Experience with ETAS/INCA, ATI/Vision, Simulink, ASCET, and J1939 CAN
- Experience with electro-mechanical sensors/actuators, electrical systems and software
- Experience developing SI emissions control systems (closed-loop, catalyst, ETC) preferred
- Experience operating ATVs, off-road vehicles and motorcycles preferred
- Hands-on experience repairing / rebuilding small engines or automotive engines a plus
- Fast paced testing and field environment
- Ability to travel up to 25% of time to areas in the continental U.S. for field development trips
Recognized as the leader in the powersports industry, Polaris Industries is a fast growing, innovative, global organization. The people here at Polaris don't just create products - they are part of a lifestyle. It's the passion & execution of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do.
Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) is a global powersports leader that has been fueling the passion of riders, workers and outdoor enthusiasts for more than 60 years. With annual 2017 sales of $5.4 billion, Polaris' innovative, high-quality product line-up includes the RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; the Sportsman® and Polaris ACE® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; and Polaris RMK®, INDY®, Switchback® and RUSH® snowmobiles. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets globally includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. Visit www.polaris.com for more information.
Polaris prides itself on recognizing and developing top talent to take its people and company to the next level. Competitive salary, generous benefits and a comprehensive relocation plan are just a few components of the total compensation package offered at Polaris. Are you ready to join a company where you will work hard and play hard, and be rewarded for your performance?
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Powertrain Sr. ORV Control Systems Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US