Senior Intellectual Property Project Leader
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 2526
Requisition Number: 12281BR
This results-oriented role serves as the process and tool expert for the Intellectual Property team, maintaining an awareness of technical developments and IP issues in assigned product group and projects. This position will develop, implement and manage initiatives to continually improve the performance of the team and support the company's strategic and business plans in several key areas, including intellectual property portfolio planning, systems/operations, financial management, and internal group relations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Patent Process Ownership and Improvement
- Manages internal intellectual property docketing database: DIAMS. Responsible for content and construction.
- Collaborate with the IPS team members to develop an annual U.S. and international patent filing plan to align with business objectives and targeted budget.
- Facilitate the execution of strategic plans and drive value improvement processes.
- Gather, prepare, and monitor statistical data focused on financial analytics, forecasting, budgeting and patent metrics.
- Identify, develop, and deliver metrics and analytics to support patenting opportunity decisions.
- Develop, implement, and administer policies, procedures and processes for all phases of the innovation life cycle.
- Research, recommend, implement, and maintain patent information, document management, and other analytical reporting tools and systems.
- Prepare presentations for quarterly meetings to update product group leaders on the state of the patent portfolio.
- Benchmark and coordinate workflow with external law firms and IP service partners.
- Prepare materials and conduct intellectual property training.
Patent Project Leadership and Management
- Monitors and assesses competitive IP relevant to Polaris products.
- Perform and distribute regular competitive searches reports for: ORV, Snow, On Road, CGD, plus international and diversification initiatives.
- Categorize competitive patents by system and component.
- Identify patents that may need further study or formal opinions.
- Provide periodic overview of competitive IP to the product groups and relevant project teams.
- Facilitates IP clearance reviews within project teams.
- Participates in product patent mining sessions and prepares materials for outside counsel to be used in patent applications.
- Reviews and approves new invention disclosures.
- Maintains a strong knowledge of specific Polaris product lines and project technologies applicable to project assignments.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and self-starter with proven ability to multi-task and perform in a fast-paced environment across a portfolio of projects.
- High technical aptitude and comfort level working with computer systems and software.
- Ability to read and understand patent laws, rules and procedures.
- Must be able to communicate complex concepts in easy to understand format.
- Skilled in the preparation of written training materials, user manuals, and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Applied leadership skills to facilitate meetings, presentations, and training sessions.
- Demonstrated data management and organization skills.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Business Administration, Information Management or related field is required.
- 3-5 years of experience managing projects within one or more of the following functions: IP, Engineering, Manufacturing, Operations, Quality or Supply Chain.
- Experience developing documentation and delivering role-based training to large audiences.
- Information management, process implementation, and document management experience.
- Preferred knowledge of intellectual property database applications, processes, and procedures.
OTHER ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Very fast-paced, dynamic culture in an office environment.
Travel as needed (approximately 10-15%).
QID for the EEO Statement - 89594
Recognized as the leader in the powersports industry, Polaris Industries is a fast growing, innovative, global organization. The people here at Polaris don't just create products - they are part of a lifestyle. It's the passion & execution of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do.
Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) is a global powersports leader that has been fueling the passion of riders, workers and outdoor enthusiasts for more than 60 years. With annual 2017 sales of $5.4 billion, Polaris' innovative, high-quality product line-up includes the RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; the Sportsman® and Polaris ACE® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; and Polaris RMK®, INDY®, Switchback® and RUSH® snowmobiles. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets globally includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. Visit www.polaris.com for more information.
Polaris prides itself on recognizing and developing top talent to take its people and company to the next level. Competitive salary, generous benefits and a comprehensive relocation plan are just a few components of the total compensation package offered at Polaris. Are you ready to join a company where you will work hard and play hard, and be rewarded for your performance?
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Intellectual Property Project Leader
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US