Product Design and Development Operations Director
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Job Number: 2533
Requisition Number: 12294BR
The Director of Product Design & Development Operations is responsible for advancing the product design and development processes for the Polaris Parts Garments & Accessories (PG&A) business unit's new product pipeline. This leader will provide strategic direction as it relates to product advancement opportunities, seek new technologies, manufacturing processes, establish research, development and regulatory standards across the Polaris PG&A OEM product category, as well as the Aftermarket brand teams.
The Director of Product Design and Development Operations is a highly visible role within the Polaris PG&A Powersports team.
- Create and foster relationships in the areas of innovation, as well as analyze market opportunities, trend analysis, consumer insights, voice of customer, etc. to plan and assess the feasibility of new technology programs
- Ensure PG&A product teams have clear processes to drive compliance with all regulatory requirements, partnering with Polaris' Internal Product Compliance team.
- Manage Industrial Design team dedicated to Polaris PG&A programs.
- Establish and maintain development standards and phase gate processes internal to the PG&A Powersports business to drive consistency, efficiency and to protect intellectual property.
- Lead internal PG&A Powersports processes including Long Range Channel Product Planning (LRCPP) and Long Range Product Planning (LRPP)
- Partner with Category (Polaris OEM) and Aftermarket Brand leadership to identify and drive new product opportunities in the marketplace
- Lead/facilitate cross-brand design collaboration and resource optimization to build an optimal multi-brand assortment of products for new vehicle platform launches
- Identify synergy opportunities across commodity categories such as winches; Directly manage Commodity Project Leader(s)
- Partner with Polaris Engineering's Advanced Technology teams to identify and investigate emerging technologies relevant to PG&A businesses
- Work cross functionally across design, engineering, marketing, sales, and supply chain to formulate and execute new product technology developments
- Embrace, champion and manage change
- Define and direct trend, competitive and analogous industry analyses
- Define and drive business requirements of consumer research and execution
- Create buy-in for the product vision both internally and with key external partners
Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Engineering or Industrial Design; MBA or MS strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to identify consumer trends that are not always obvious or articulated and implementing them into product with significant revenue and profit results
- Demonstrated success influencing leaders in a matrixed organization.
- Strong background in leading a balanced portfolio innovation approach - ability to manage complex categories and interdependencies while bringing forth meaningful innovation
- Engineering or Industrial Design background preferred; Ability to navigate technical discussions with engineering related to FEA's, T1 sampling plans, injection molding processes and safety validations without a translator
- Well-versed in technology and the global technology landscape
- Proven track record of bringing forth and managing broad assortment product introductions with meaningful results
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, organized, decisive, detail & action-oriented
- Experience in identifying trends, technology investment ideas as well as a history of commercializing new products.
- Influence product decisions with a blend of Design, Engineering, program development/product launch thinking within complex organizations.
- Strategic thinker with strong personal drive to achieve.
- Standard Office Environment
- Periodic travel - up to 25%
About this location
This opportunity is located approximately 30 minutes from Minnesota's Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. These neighboring cities consistently rank as two of the United States' top cities to live in. Minneapolis's thriving art scene, outdoor culture (even in the winter), affordable prices, and friendly atmosphere make this Midwest metropolis a perfect place to live.
Recognized as the leader in the powersports industry, Polaris Industries is a fast growing, innovative, global organization. The people here at Polaris don't just create products - they are part of a lifestyle. It's the passion & execution of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do.
Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) is a global powersports leader that has been fueling the passion of riders, workers and outdoor enthusiasts for more than 60 years. With annual 2017 sales of $5.4 billion, Polaris' innovative, high-quality product line-up includes the RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; the Sportsman® and Polaris ACE® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; and Polaris RMK®, INDY®, Switchback® and RUSH® snowmobiles. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets globally includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. Visit www.polaris.com for more information.
Polaris prides itself on recognizing and developing top talent to take its people and company to the next level. Competitive salary, generous benefits and a comprehensive relocation plan are just a few components of the total compensation package offered at Polaris. Are you ready to join a company where you will work hard and play hard, and be rewarded for your performance?
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Product Design and Development Operations Director
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Minneapolis, Minnesota US