Software Engineering Manager, RIDE COMMAND
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Job Number: 2631
Requisition Number: 12530BR
Polaris, a global powersports leader in off-road vehicles, motorcycles and snowmobiles, is looking for an experienced and passionate manager for our Mobile App, WebPortal, and Cloud Software Development teams. This is an exciting role leading the team building Ride Command, our world class connected rider solution. It requires leadership skills, business & technical acumen, and the ability to effectively execute projects. You will have the ability and empowerment to make changes and move quickly, directly impacting cloud initiatives, mobile applications, trail mapping and other development projects at Polaris.
The ideal candidate is an articulate and organized hands-on leader by example, who is effective in a fast-paced Agile Development environment, can shepherd development processes, mentor and supervise software engineers at all levels, and collaborate across teams within the company. Interest in powersports is a plus, as there are many opportunities to ride!
Responsibilities include balancing multiple project priorities within a portfolio of initiatives, managing resources and schedule, working closely with Product Owners and Polaris vehicle teams, and enabling the passionate and highly skilled engineering talent of the Ride Command team to do their best work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Mentor strong teams of mobile, web and cloud engineers (about 14 employees).
• Manage resource allocation within and across teams.
• Measure each team and each individual developer's productivity, track and provide updates with recommendations for improvement, eliminating bottlenecks, etc.
• Interview,hire, and recommend for team expansion and growth, including full time employees and contractors.
• Establish and track software development, testing and implementation plans.
• Manage project tasks, timelines, plans, and resources.
• Maintain project plans and project tracking systems.
• Work closely with the Ride Command Product Owners to develop rolling schedules based on two-week sprints and to provide estimates to assist in long-range feature/schedule planning.
• Lead feature execution for the app & portal development teams based on the product plan as laid out by the Ride Command Product Owners.
• Determine and manage the promotion of tested product from development to production environments.
• Track and lead team alignment within the Ride Command budget, maintain monthly records, invoice tracking and approval, planned expenditures and suggested reductions when necessary. Work with Finance to develop and ensure Quarterly forecasts are accurate and achieved.
• Manage vendor contract compliance for Ride Command.
• Drive individual and team training, productivity and process improvements using Scrum development, LEAN practices, and external training resources.
• Overall responsibility for ensuring quality throughout the project lifecycle.
• Prepare monthly budget submissions, reports and presentations.
SKILLS,KNOWLEDGE & EDUCATION:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Business or equivalent technical degree required.
• 8+ years of experience managing a software team of 8 or more engineers required.
• Track record of successful on-time shipping of software using an Agile development model.
• Experience in project planning, scheduling, and resource management.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to apply understanding of existing and emerging technology to ownership & riding tools strategies.
• Strong professional development and team building skills.
• Standard office environment.
• Some domestic travel (~10%) is required.
QID for the EEO Statement - 89594
About this location
This opportunity is located approximately 30 minutes from Minnesota's Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. These neighboring cities consistently rank as two of the United States' top cities to live in. Minneapolis's thriving art scene, outdoor culture (even in the winter), affordable prices, and friendly atmosphere make this Midwest metropolis a perfect place to live.
Recognized as the leader in the powersports industry, Polaris Industries is a fast growing, innovative, global organization. The people here at Polaris don't just create products - they are part of a lifestyle. It's the passion & execution of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do.
Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) is a global powersports leader that has been fueling the passion of riders, workers and outdoor enthusiasts for more than 60 years. With annual 2017 sales of $5.4 billion, Polaris' innovative, high-quality product line-up includes the RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; the Sportsman® and Polaris ACE® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; and Polaris RMK®, INDY®, Switchback® and RUSH® snowmobiles. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets globally includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. Visit www.polaris.com for more information.
Polaris prides itself on recognizing and developing top talent to take its people and company to the next level. Competitive salary, generous benefits and a comprehensive relocation plan are just a few components of the total compensation package offered at Polaris. Are you ready to join a company where you will work hard and play hard, and be rewarded for your performance?
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Software Engineering Manager, RIDE COMMAND
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Minneapolis, Minnesota US