Lead System Electrical Engineer
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 3429
Requisition Number: 14270BR
LEAD SYSTEM ELECTRICAL ENGINEER
Responsible for performing activities concerned with the planning, design, validation, manufacturing, and field support of motorcycle electrical/electronic systems and components from concept to production implementation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establishes reasonable project development schedules and resource plans from concept to production implementation using the Polaris Development Process
- Participates in pre-Gate 2 project definition meetings with Management, Industrial Design, Marketing, PG&A and Project teams as the electrical Subject Matter Expert (SME)
- Provides tooling, NRE, & BOM cost estimates to the Project team
- Performs design trade-off analysis as required
- Solicits resource estimates from the electrical Software, Hardware, and Design teams
- Works closely with the Program Leader to ensure adequate Central Electrical resource budget/forecast.
- Performs detailed studies and design of vehicle electrical systems according to the Level 2 Vehicle Specification, with emphasis on safety, reliability, and cost
- Creates and maintains design documentation
- Schedules appropriate Peer Team Reviews
- Provides electrical schematic(s)
- Participates in design reviews for engine/chassis systems and is responsible for ensuring the designs meet electrical system requirements
- Interacts with purchasing, testing, manufacturing, and external suppliers as needed for the successful completion of projects
- Attends weekly Design & Team project meetings
- Assists the PDP purchasing lead with electrical supplier selection
- Responsible for defining electrical system test requirements during manufacturing as well as any special process requirements
- Attends weekly Action Register & IR meetings during the validation phase of a project
- Troubleshoots electrical/electronic systems when issues arise
- Coordinates resources in order to complete all projects per the approved budget and schedule (includes internal and external resources)
- Contributes to Motorcycle resource and technology planning
- Analyzes field problems in order to recommend and implement solutions
- Performs other miscellaneous electrical engineering assignments as requested.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
Critical Technical Skills
- 4 year B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) or equivalent and a minimum of 3 years work experience in an electrical engineering position.
- Highly developed computer skills using EE design/analysis and Microsoft Office software
- Engineering problem solving approach
- Analog and digital circuit analysis and design
- Experience with electronic schematic capture and circuit simulation tools
- Electrical system design of vehicle or machine control systems
- Experience with mechanical systems and engines (doesn't have to be included in formal education)
- Hands on experience using electrical test and assembly equipment
- Product development experience
- Wire harness design experience
- Control network (CAN) experience
Desirable Technical Skills
- Motorcycle driver's license endorsement & completion of MSF Basic Rider & Basic Rider 2 Courses
- MS degree in technical field
- Basic software programming skills
- EMC training and background
- Human-machine interface and display experience
- Background in control theory
- Electrical machine, magnetics, and power electronics experience
- Some travel required (not to exceed 15%) to support vehicle builds, testing, and interface with suppliers
- Fast-paced office and lab environment
Recognized as the leader in the powersports industry, Polaris Industries is a fast growing, innovative, global organization. The people here at Polaris don't just create products - they are part of a lifestyle. It's the passion & execution of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do.
Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) is a global powersports leader that has been fueling the passion of riders, workers and outdoor enthusiasts for more than 60 years. With annual 2017 sales of $5.4 billion, Polaris' innovative, high-quality product line-up includes the RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; the Sportsman® and Polaris ACE® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; and Polaris RMK®, INDY®, Switchback® and RUSH® snowmobiles. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets globally includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. Visit www.polaris.com for more information.
Polaris prides itself on recognizing and developing top talent to take its people and company to the next level. Competitive salary, generous benefits and a comprehensive relocation plan are just a few components of the total compensation package offered at Polaris. Are you ready to join a company where you will work hard and play hard, and be rewarded for your performance?
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Lead System Electrical Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US