Advanced Welding Manufacturing Engineer
Location: Huntsville, Alabama US
Job Number: 3887
Requisition Number: R015521
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attends project status meetings and design reviews for the respective product line(s) focusing on commonality, reduction of parts, and ease of assembly. Advises design on lead times, part and tooling cost impacts, and the impact on labor costs for all new designs. Assists with the definition of internal process limitations as well as design limitations with the assistance of Quality Engineering.
- Research new process/manufacturing technology and coordinate procurement and implementation into manufacturing.
- Develops and updates process documentation and procedure instructions.
- Conducts direct labor studies using acceptable engineering practices and establishes standards on operations, set up and work station layout.
- Reviews preliminary product designs. Assists in making recommendations to reduce costs and improve manufacturability and quality on new or existing parts.
- Reviews and evaluates the sourcing of parts pertaining to the production unit. Recommends alternative sourcing where appropriate.
- Analyzes and evaluates manufacturing methods and standards problems. Provides solutions that adversely affect costs, operator safety, productivity and quality.
- Identifies areas of unnecessary cost, and researches methods and procedures for cost reductions.
- Assists in the coordination of detailed, complete, and accurate capital equipment studies. Makes appropriate recommendations for capital expenditures.
- Work with the project engineers to develop estimates of part costs and tooling as well as make recommendations on material and processes for internal components.
- Assists manufacturing engineering and manufacturing team with the development, justification, and execution of long range plans to meet corporate objectives.
Product Launch Activities
Engineer Change Control Activities
- Interprets CMM data to make weld fixture adjustments.
- Assists in developing weld fixture PM schedules.
- Assists in developing set-up and changeover procedures.
- Recognize current production problems and address in new design development.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- BS Degree in Mechanical, or Welding Engineering or Technology
- 7+ years of Manufacturing Engineering experience
- Lean Manufacturing knowledge is strongly preferred
- Weld tooling and fixturing design
- Ability to read and interpret weld prints with GD&T
- Ability to analyze parts and fixtures using 3D modeling software (Solidworks preferred)
- CMM data analysis with multi-axis references (Polyworks software preferred, CMM and Faro Arm past programming experience preferred)
- Understands SPC to determine process capability
- Allen Bradley PLC experience is a plus
- Certifications or Working knowledge of AWS-CWI, AWS-CWE, AWS Weld Codes
- Robotic Weld Programming experience a plus
- Strong working knowledge of MIG (GMAW) welding standards and procedures
- Works independently with moderate supervisory direction
- Ability to maintain reliable attendance and punctuality
- Strong organizational, communication and leadership skills
- Positive attitude with a focus on solving problems in a team atmosphere
- Proficiency with PC's (Microsoft Office) and CAD software
- Can edit BOM's and Routings in AS400 and Powerlink
- Able to write queries in Excel or ShowCase to analyze data
- Excellent mechanical aptitude and mechanic skills
- Strong Project management skills
- Desire to work on, ride and improve industry-leading powersports products
- Fast-paced manufacturing environment with high technology driven processes
- Office and manufacturing environment. Some travel (
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2018 sales of $6.1 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER, RZR and GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Advanced Welding Manufacturing Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Huntsville, Alabama US