Technical Writer - Owner's Manuals
Location: Plymouth, Minnesota US
Job Number: 4071
Requisition Number: R1434
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
Design, develop, write and edit owner's manuals, handbooks, supplements, addendums, hang tags, and other publications to meet customer and consumer needs and to support corporate goals for quality, growth and global capability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Manage multiple project priorities and work schedule based on deadlines and input from production schedules and PRS work lists, as well as special requests from team members and other customers.
2. Assist with the implementation of new technologies and processes related to publications development.
3. Gather material for writing assignments from engineering, service, legal, compliance and other sources as applicable.
4. Confer with the publications specialist, marketing and engineering project leaders to establish print specifications for new projects.
5. Confer with legal, compliance, service, production and engineering personnel as applicable to become familiar with new compliance regulations and product technologies.
6. Organize material and complete writing assignments in accordance with set standards in regard to order, clarity, conciseness, style, formatting, terminology and grammar.
7. Edit, standardize or make changes as needed to material provided by others.
8. Meet with stakeholders/customers/peers to discuss or review projects as needed.
9. Obtain photographs, drawings and other graphic components to illustrate material.
10. Design owner's manual covers per print specifications and product requirements.
11. Deliver completed publications to print vendor, web, dealer extranet, translators and internal customers based on project requirements. Document each file delivery location and date.
12. Execute LEAN initiatives. Drive out waste in processes and systems. Increase productivity, speed and quality/accuracy. Reduce costs.
13. Think about publications and requirements globally. Consider International product development teams and customers when developing publications solutions.
14. Perform other assignments as requested or required.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EDUCATION:
1. Detail-oriented with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
2. Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
3. Sincere desire to meet customer expectations.
4. Product knowledge required, hands-on mechanical experience preferred, thorough understanding of basic mechanical concepts required.
5. Ability to perform release system (PRS) tasks as required for the role.
6. Proficient user of keyboard and numeric keypad.
7. Effective verbal and written skills. Excellent grammar and spelling skills.
8. Experience using change management system (PRS) preferred.
9. Ability to learn essential software as required for the position.
10. Basic software skills required: Adobe products (FrameMaker, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat Professional), Microsoft Word, Excel.
11. Ability to comprehend technical and non-technical information and ideas presented verbally and in writing; ability to communicate the information and ideas in writing so others (the users) will understand.
12. Ability to collaborate with other writers to meet publication deadlines.
13. Ability to understand the implications of new information and anticipate its potential effect on both current and future projects.
14. Ability to evaluate whether information, events or processes comply with (or could conflict with) laws, regulations or standards.
15. Knowledge of document design strategies for planning and creating publications.
16. Familiarity or experience with printing companies, materials, photography and audio/video capabilities is a plus.
17. An understanding of the powersports industry is preferred.
18. Experience with Arbortext is a plus.
19. Bachelor's degree in related field desired; comparable or equivalent work experience considered.
20. Three years of publication experience using an electronic publishing system desired.
Very fast-paced, dynamic culture in an office environment
Travel as needed (approximately 5%)
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2018 sales of $6.1 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER, RZR and GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Writer - Owner's Manuals
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Plymouth, Minnesota US