Weld Manufacturing Engineer
Location: Huntsville, Alabama US
Job Number: 4197
Requisition Number: R2001
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs/guides tooling techs and robot programmers in operations.
- Directly manage a single or multiple process tech reports.
- Work with a team of engineers and supervisors in order to achieve department goals.
- Identifies areas of unnecessary cost and drive cost savings for the department.
- Develop and implement new manual and automated welding processes with ability to recommend and specify equipment details.
- Develops and updates process documentation and procedure instruction.
- Conducts direct labor studies using acceptable engineering practices and establishes labor standards on operations, set up, and work station layout.
- Defines tooling and fixturing used in the manufacturing process, while also assisting with ideas for specialized processes.
- Coordinates with tool vendor to specify or procure new tooling and fixtures to make necessary changes.
- Run off new tooling at vendor sites.
- Analyzes and evaluates manufacturing methods and standards.
- Provides solutions to problems that adversely affect cost, operator safety, productivity and quality.
- Researches methods and procedures for cost reductions, work cell development and material flow improvement.
- Qualify and develop new welding specifications.
- Work closely with other engineering groups such a Design, Assembly, Tube fab and Paint.
- Work directly with New Product Introduction team on model year changes and new product.
- Recognize current production problems and address in new design development.
- Assists in development and troubleshooting of manufacturing welding equipment.
- Assists in preparation of departmental budget including material, manpower, equipment and outside procurement costs, and operates within approved parameters.
- Reviews preliminary designs, making recommendations to reduce costs and improve manufacturability and quality on new or existing parts.
- Develops detailed and accurate capital equipment studies, makes appropriate recommendation.
- Operates within an approved budget.
- Reviews and evaluates manufacturing costs pertaining to make vs. buy decisions.
- Drive lean culture.
- Performs other assignments as requested.
Skills and Knowledge:
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or Weld Technology with emphasis in welding.
- Desire to work in a strong team dynamic.
- 1-3 years-previous manufacturing engineer experience required, high pace automotive manufacturing experience preferred.
- Experience with weld tool maintenance and design preferred.
- 1-2 years Quality Engineering desired.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite with focus in Excel.
- Robotic Weld Programming experience a plus.
- Lean Manufacturing knowledge is strongly preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret weld and mechanical prints.
- Works independently with moderate supervisory direction
- Excellent mechanical aptitude and mechanic skills
- Strong Project management skills
- Desire to work on, ride and improve industry-leading powersports products
Fast-paced manufacturing environment with high technology driven processes.
Office and manufacturing environment. Some travel (
Strong team dynamic.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2018 sales of $6.1 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER, RZR and GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Weld Manufacturing Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Huntsville, Alabama US