Electric/Hybrid Powertrain Calibration Engineer
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 4238
Requisition Number: R1994
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
The Electric & Hybrid Powertrain calibration engineer will be responsible for the development and refinement of torque control/management systems, diagnostics, and other vehicle controls as needed to meet vehicle performance and drivability goals. They will work closely with the product teams to understand customer needs and define the vehicle performance and drivability goals, and they will work closely with a Core Team of systems engineers (systems architect, control systems, systems analysis) in the design, development, & integration of the system into hybrid and battery electric vehicles manufactured by Polaris. They will facilitate and coordinate system level validation planning and execution working closely with the validation team. They will develop, implement, and maintain engineering procedures, requirements, and specifications to ensure thorough definition, testing and production release of calibrations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with the Core Team to develop electrified powertrain strategy/roadmaps that best support Polaris globally with particular focus on the calibration system
- Works with the Core Team to design the system, perform system level tradeoff analyses, and makes system level design decisions
- Works with the product teams to understand customer needs, use cases, drive cycles, and develops and documents measurable performance and drivability goals/requirements, particularly related to calibration
- Defines calibration strategies and develops & maintains: function-calibration libraries, drivability & behavior goals & guidelines, drive cycle libraries, and calibration validation procedures/reports
- Develops, validates, and releases calibration work-packages (torque control/management, diagnostics, and vehicle controls as needed) for vehicle development (pre-production) and production for assigned vehicle program(s) that meet or exceed requirements for performance, drivability, regulation compliance, etc.
- Uses experience and engineering principles to develop and specify test procedures and equipment necessary to conduct powertrain control system performance, drivability, safety, and vehicle testing on Polaris vehicles of many types
- Creates technical and program reports with common format and clear conclusions with recommendations to support PDP deliverables
- Coordinates validation of powertrain systems including: developing test criteria & systems requirement specifications, creating test plans, setting goals, objectives and schedules, recording & analyzing test data using state of the art techniques, creating technical and program reports with common format and clear conclusions with recommendations to support PDP deliverables; may include test execution or coordination of test execution with validation team
- Responsible for data integrity and all technical aspects of the testing process.
- Supports vehicle-level validation as needed
- Participates in Calibration Peer Team and adopts calibration processes and ensure Polaris guidelines are met or exceeded.
- Participates in controller software meetings, understand motor control & vehicle control software function and recommend / validate algorithm changes.
- Participates in vehicle group development processes to ensure that drivability metrics, applicable limits, test procedures, certification requirements, are achieved.
- Participates in root cause failure analysis during the development process.Finds and recommends practical solutions for specific failure modes as related to calibration parameters, or calibration related vehicle performance.
- Provides calibration and end-of-line support for electric and hybrid powertrain vehicle assembly plants as required.
- Interacts with and directs resources at multiple Powertrain and product group engineering sites.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BS engineering degree with a minimum of 2 years of powertrain testing and calibration development related experience. Vehicle integration experience preferred.
- Knowledge of electric & hybrid powertrain systems
- Knowledge and experience with data analysis techniques and tools including Excel, Matlab, Concerto, Minitab, etc.
- Experience with ETAS/INCA, ATI/Vision, Simulink, ASCET, J1939 CAN, CANalyzer, CANoe, and/or other CAN communications analysis tools
- Experience with electro-mechanical sensors/actuators, electrical systems and software preferred
- Experience operating ATVs, off-road vehicles and motorcycles preferred
- Fast paced testing and field environment
- Ability to travel up to 25% of time to areas in the continental U.S. for field development trips
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2018 sales of $6.1 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER, RZR and GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Electric/Hybrid Powertrain Calibration Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US