Weld Manufacturing Engineer, 2nd shift
Location: Huntsville, Alabama US
Job Number: 4269
Requisition Number: R2256
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs/guides tooling techs and robot programmers in operations.
- Directly manage a single or multiple process tech reports.
- Work with a team of engineers and supervisors in order to achieve department goals.
- Identifies areas of unnecessary cost and drive cost savings for the department.
- Develop and implement new manual and automated welding processes with ability to recommend and specify equipment details.
- Develops and updates process documentation and procedure instruction.
- Conducts direct labor studies using acceptable engineering practices and establishes labor standards on operations, set up, and work station layout.
- Defines tooling and fixturing used in the manufacturing process, while also assisting with ideas for specialized processes.
- Coordinates with tool vendor to specify or procure new tooling and fixtures to make necessary changes.
- Available to travel to run off new tooling at vendor sites.
- Analyzes and evaluates manufacturing methods and standards.
- Provides solutions to problems that adversely affect cost, operator safety, productivity and quality.
- Researches methods and procedures for cost reductions, work cell development and material flow improvement.
- Qualify and develop new welding specifications.
- Work closely with other engineering groups such a Design, Assembly, Tube fab and Paint.
- Work with department M.E.s as well as New Product Engineers on model year changes and new product.
- Recognize current production problems and provide feed back to the team and direct feed back to design engineers.
- Assists in development and troubleshooting of manufacturing welding equipment.
- Assists in preparation of departmental budget including material, manpower, equipment and outside procurement costs, and operates within approved parameters.
- Reviews preliminary designs, making recommendations to reduce costs and improve manufacturability and quality on new or existing parts.
- Develops detailed and accurate capital equipment studies, makes appropriate recommendation.
- Operates within an approved budget.
- Reviews and evaluates manufacturing costs pertaining to make vs. buy decisions.
- Drive lean culture.
- Performs other assignments as requested.
- Works on weld tooling in to minimize down time to production, during improvement projects and model year changes.
- Perform assessment and critical decisions in line down situation.
Skills and Knowledge:
B.S. degree in Mechanical, Industrial Engineering or Weld Technology.
2 year degree in Industrial Maintenance preferred.
Desire to work in a strong team dynamic.
0-3 years-previous manufacturing engineer experience required, high pace automotive manufacturing experience preferred.
Experience with weld tool maintenance and design preferred.
1-2 years industrial maintenance experience desired.
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite with focus in Excel.
Robotic Weld Programming experience a plus.
Lean Manufacturing knowledge is preferred.
Ability to read and interpret weld and mechanical prints.
Works independently with moderate supervisory direction
Excellent mechanical aptitude and mechanic skills
Strong Project management skills
Desire to work on, ride and improve industry-leading powersports products
Fast-paced manufacturing environment with high technology driven processes.
Office and manufacturing environment with most of the time spent on the floor. Some travel (
Strong team dynamic.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2018 sales of $6.1 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER, RZR and GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Weld Manufacturing Engineer, 2nd shift
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Huntsville, Alabama US