Sr Powertrain Calibration Technician
Location: Roseau, Minnesota US
Job Number: 4303
Requisition Number: R2388
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
Powertrain Calibration Technician to develop and validate engine control systems for Off Road Vehicles. Specific focus on engine calibration development in both base engine dynamometer and vehicle application. Work with the Lead Calibration Engineer for successful engine application and integration into the vehicle. Assists in creating and executing engineering procedures, requirements, and specifications to ensure thorough definition and testing for engine control system development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Help create and specify test procedures and equipment necessary to conduct powertrain performance and control system development testing on Polaris vehicles.
- Collaborate as a calibration resource for existing or new engine/vehicle programs. Complete powertrain calibration files from concept to production for assigned vehicle program(s) that meet or exceed requirements for performance, drivability, as well as ensure program(s) meet all government mandated emissions regulations with Polaris-specified margins
- Collect data and assist in developing calibrations for engine mapping of air charge, open loop fuel delivery, transient fuel, ignition timing, IAC/throttle control, speed and power limits, closed-loop fueling and chassis functions where applicable.
- Conduct testing aspects of engine and vehicle development projects: Execute test criteria, systems requirement specifications, assist in creating test plans and schedules.
- Participate in engine controller software meetings. Understand engine control module (ECM) software function and recommend / validate algorithm changes.
- Participate in vehicle group development processes to ensure that applicable safety limits, test procedures, certification requirements, are achieved. Participate and/or lead in vehicle drive characteristic development and tuning in the field.
- Test new or improved engine components, develop engine integration and work very closely with the design and hardware groups. Prepare and present formal documentation as required.
- Participate in root cause failure analysis during the development process. Find and recommend practical solutions for specific failure modes as related to calibration parameters, or calibration related engine performance.
- Calibration and end-of-line support for specific engine production testing at engine and vehicle assembly plants as required.
- Instrument vehicles with various measurement sensors/transducers for hardware and calibration development tasks. Research, recommend, and implement alternative solutions to meet powertrain objectives.
- Ensure vehicle operational state and safety. Maintain primary vehicle and test equipment operation for optimal quality of information acquired.
- Records test data, analyze results, and provide comprehensive reports using statistical, analytical, and other state of the art techniques. Research alternatives and implement solutions to meet powertrain objectives where applicable.
- Interact and direct resources at multiple Powertrain and product group engineering sites. This includes the ability to travel up to 25% of time to areas in the continental U.S.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Technical degree related to engines and/or minimum of 5 years of experience with high performance small engines
- Prefer vehicle or engine testing knowledge, computer and instrumentation experience.
- Prefer fluency with Microsoft Office software, data analysis tools including Concerto, Matlab, etc.
- Prefer experience with ETAS/INCA, ATI/Vision, Simulink, ASCET, and vehicle CAN
- Able to work in a team environment proficiently.
- Ability to work with domestic and international technology partners.
- Experience operating ATVs, off-road vehicles and motorcycles preferred
- Hands-on experience repairing / rebuilding small engines or automotive engines preferred
- Able to multitask, managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently, with remote guidance, and/or in groups as necessary
- Fast paced testing and field environment
Travel as needed (~25%)
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2018 sales of $6.1 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER, RZR and GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Sr Powertrain Calibration Technician
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Roseau, Minnesota US