Location: Roseau, Minnesota US
Job Number: 4502
Requisition Number: R2994
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
Reporting into the Materials and Process Engineering team responsible for the support of Polaris' multiple product lines, the Materials Engineer position will be working in product development with a focus on Metallurgy, Materials Engineering, Process Validation, and Failure Analysis. A successful applicant will be required to engage with various product groups and lead materials-based projects involving new product development, failure analysis, and root cause investigations. This position will also interact with cross functional teams to provide materials, tooling, and process selection. A diverse work environment with a broad range of responsibilities, this position will be located in Roseau, MN and also be responsible for re-starting the materials lab based there and re-integrating into teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Materials processing subject matter expert collaborating with design, manufacturing, and suppliers
- Integrate with cross functional teams to provide rapid response to production and design challenges
- Responsible for prioritizing and managing workflow across multiple projects
- Lead failure analysis projects and coordinate appropriate testing with internal and external resources, including Wyoming materials lab
- Manage Roseau materials lab including machine maintenance, calibration, and capital investments
- Sample preparation and analysis required
- Develop internal materials characterization methods and resources to meet the needs of project teams
- Drive continual education and development of materials related knowledge throughout the organization
- Support and participate in creation of material test specifications and standards
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
Required Skills include:
The desired candidate must be independently driven. The pursuit of excellence and self-motivation is essential. Responsibilities require the flexibility to support various processes and materials daily. Position requires an individual with a diverse aptitude and interest in learning new skills to support a growing role.
- Familiar with operations of a metallurgical laboratory and equipment conducting a broad range of tasks
- Optical fractography experience, ability to identify fracture origins and failure modes in various materials
- Ability to organize and direct multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience in providing concise reports with audience appropriate conclusions and recommendations.
- Integrating with design and testing engineers while conducting failure analysis to understand the conditions of failure and apply cross functional knowledge to conclusions.
- Knowledgeable about process controls and procedures used in materials manufacturing environments.
Desired skills include:
- Understanding and application of heat treat principles for ferrous and nonferrous materials
- Knowledge of steel and aluminum forging processes including die design, processing limitation and quality control practices
- Design and manufacturing experience with tube fabrication and welding processes including HSLA steels
- Ductile and gray iron processing and characterization
- Non-ferrous metal high pressure and gravity casting knowledge and specification
- Nondestructive testing knowledge and process development including radiography, ultrasound, eddy current and penetrant inspection
- Processing and characterization knowledge of corrosion inhibiting coatings for aesthetic and functional purposes, including but not limited to Chrome, Zinc, anodizing
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Preferred candidate will have a Bachelor of Science or Master of Science in Material Science or Metallurgical Engineering. Equivalent degrees or experience may be considered.
2 yearsof relevant work experience required. Manufacturing and new product development experience desired.
- Laboratory environment with time also spent in test cells, field test locations, and office
- Occasional international and domestic travel is required (
- Increased domestic travel to Wyoming, MN facility in first 3-6 months for team integration and training
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2019 sales of $6.8 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Materials Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Roseau, Minnesota US