Powertrain ORV Calibration Engineer
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 4652
Requisition Number: R3728
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
Polaris Off Road, the global leader in recreation and utility vehicles, is recruiting for an ORV Powertrain Calibration Engineer. Specific focus on developing and validating engine control systems. Will be working with the product team for successful engine application and integration into the vehicle. Develops, implements, and maintains engineering procedures, requirements, and specifications to ensure thorough definition and testing for engine control system development. Direct and supervise test technicians on technical projects as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Calibration resource for future ORV programs as well as existing vehicle platforms. Complete calibration files for production that meet or exceed requirements for performance, drivability and emissions.
- Develop and implement calibrations for engine mapping of air charge, open loop fuel delivery, transient fuel, ignition timing, throttle control, speed and power limits, closed-loop fueling and chassis functions where applicable.
- Develop pre-production engines / vehicles to ensure program(s) meet all government mandated emissions regulations with Polaris-specified margins.
- Uses experience and engineering principles to develop and specify test procedures and equipment necessary to conduct powertrain performance and control system development testing on Polaris vehicles.
- Coordinate testing aspects of engine and vehicle development projects: Develop test criteria, systems requirement specifications, create test plans, set goals, objectives and schedules.
- Participate in Calibration Peer Team. Adopt Peer Team calibration processes and ensure that Polaris guidelines for vehicle drivability and performance are met or exceeded.
- Participate in engine controller software meetings. Understand engine control module (ECM) software function and recommend / validate algorithm changes.
- Test new or improved engine components, develop engine integration and work very closely with the design and hardware groups. Prepare and present formal documentation as required.
- Participate in root cause failure analysis during the development process. Find and recommend practical solutions for specific failure modes as related to calibration parameters, or calibration related engine performance. Key participant in FMEA.
- Calibration and end-of-line support for specific engine production testing at engine and vehicle assembly plants as required.
- Records and analyzes test data using statistical, analytical, and other state of the art techniques. Research alternatives, and implement solutions to meet powertrain objectives.
- Interact and direct resources at multiple Powertrain and product group engineering sites. This includes the ability to travel up to 25% of time to areas in the continental U.S.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BS or MS engineering degree with a minimum of 3 years of engine testing and calibration development related experience. Knowledge of how engines operate.
- Direct experience operating Off Road Vehicles required. ORV enthusiast preferred.
- Fluent with Microsoft Office software, data analysis tools including Concerto, Matlab, etc.
- Experience with ETAS/INCA, ATI/Vision, Simulink, ASCET, and vehicle CAN
- Experience developing SI emissions control systems (closed-loop, catalyst, ETC) preferred
- Able to work in a team environment proficiently.
- Ability to work with domestic and international technology partners.
- Hands-on experience repairing / rebuilding small engines or automotive engines preferred
- Able to multitask, managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Fast paced testing and field environment
Travel as needed (~25%)
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2019 sales of $6.8 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Powertrain ORV Calibration Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US