Sr. Systems Engineer - Bodywork
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 4875
Requisition Number: R4692
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging
assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we
are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
Job Summary: Lead the technical design, development, and validation of new bodywork programs for off-road product. Convert customer needs into sub-system specifications. Work closely with Program Architects, Industrial Design, B-side Design Team, and other functions to define key bodywork deliverables, create and execute industry-leading designs that align with Sourcing plans, and work with Operations to develop and execute manufacturing strategies that ensure production success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with Industrial Design to translate sketches into efficient bodywork designs
- Lead the development of bodywork sub-system specifications, DFMEA, and DVP&R
- Work with integrated product team to ensure seating locations, operator envelopes, and other engineering packaging items are complete prior to associated Industrial Design activities
- Work closely with B-side design team to ensure parts meet the aesthetic and functional requirements, while adhering to Polaris standards
- Lead the work with various Engineering functions to analyze designs for performance and safety using FEA where appropriate, FMEA, HARA, other
- Champion bodywork design reviews (ARR, PDR, CDR)
- Completes design tasks in the Polaris Release System and ensures their timely release.
- Work with Validation Engineers to develop robust and efficient DVPs
- Lead the timely resolution of issues found during testing
- Develop body panel joining method strategies and implement - panel-to-panel and panel-to-structure
- Monitor warranty, field issues, and customer research information related to bodywork. Develop improvement plans and lead execution to implement
- Take responsibility for other duties as assigned
Education, Skills & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- 5+yrs experience in product development
- Experience with a 3-D CAD modeling package required, CREO preferred
- Experience with the successful development and execution of bodywork projects
- Detailed understanding of bodywork interfaces (joints), hinge and latch design
- Thorough understanding of plastic molding processes and tool design - injection molding, thermoforming, other
- Solid experience in cascading requirements, specification development, and DVP creation
- Experience with bolted joint analysis, GD&T, FMEA, dimensional tolerance stack-ups, and experience with engineering standards preferred
- Analytically strong with ability to organize and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and efficiency
- Interpersonally capable of influencing others regardless of reporting structure
- Decision-making savvy, and capable of efficiently solving problems
- Strong organizational skills and experience influencing other leaders
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2019 sales of $6.8 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Sr. Systems Engineer - Bodywork
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US