Location: Plymouth, Minnesota US
Job Number: 4918
Requisition Number: R4839
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging
assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we
are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
Polaris Adventures is looking for a motivated, professional, Sales Lead for a new role they have created to create, develop and manage the small sales team and drive strategic opportunities. This individual will be responsible for enhancing sales productivity and driving profitable growth by focusing their activities in the following areas:
- Developing the Sales Team: The Sales Lead will be tasked with developing, supporting and driving the outside sales team through modeling and teaching impactful sales skills, observing and coaching team members, in addition to strategizing with sales team members for advancing their opportunities
- Planning and Forecasting: The individual will drive accurate forecasting with predictable results by monitoring progress and aligning sales efforts with vehicle availability.
- Building the Sales System: This person will build an effective sales management system, process and tools to support the advancement of opportunities and leadership of the sales team.
- Strategic Account Management: The Sales Lead will also be responsible for individually creating and executing customer-specific sales plans for complex strategic opportunities important for the success and future growth of the company.
- Communication and Collaboration: The Sales Lead will be an integral member of the leadership team. The individual successful in this position will gather and bring insights to the management team on opportunities, activities, results, and accurate forecasts that align equipment availability with customer programs.
Polaris Adventures provides safe and memorable year-round adventures through partnerships with a national network of premium outdoor destinations that offer unforgettable ride and drive experiences. The program was inspired by the desire to bring greater awareness to powersports and to get more people outdoors through safe, memorable, year-round adventures. Polaris Adventures allows guests the freedom to explore scenic routes coast to coast. From tall timbered forests, mountain passes, desert pathways, snowy trails and even scenic highways, we offer worry-free half-day and full-day options for couples, families and adventure groups. State-of-the-art Polaris® vehicles come equipped with intuitive navigation and accessories tailored to the local environment. All guests are given vehicle and safety instructions, making the ride approachable for any skill level. Whether you are a new rider or seasoned driver, Polaris Adventures connects guests with an entirely new opportunity to get out and explore memorable destinations nationwide.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
This Sales Lead position will be primarily charged with supporting Polaris Adventures in each of the following areas of responsibility:
Developing the Sales Team
- Engages in 1:1 meetings with salespeople to develop skills and to manage performance and hold
sales people accountable for:
- Daily, monthly, quarterly activities and expectations
- Forecasting and reporting
- Using and leveraging a CRM System
- Communicating progress in their respective account base
- Observes and coaches the sales team during customer visits or conversations
- Facilitates deal strategizing conversations, providing insights and recommendations
- Demonstrates proficiency and ability to teach and coach salespeople, specifically what
it means to:
- Understand the customer needs and match to company offerings
- Maintain a pulse of on-going activities, successes and challenges.
- Demonstrates knowledge and experience in selling to professional associations
- Increasing sales per organization by means of selling additional trips or assisting the organization in selling additional passenger bookings
- Proactively manage customer satisfaction and service delivery by anticipating potential customer service problems, and monitoring customer satisfaction.
- Create interest and urgency within the clients
- Assesses sales team including making staffing hiring/firing recommendations and changes where needed
- Anticipates, provides, and helps prioritize the needed resources
Planning and Forecasting
- Consistently forecasting a sales pipeline with sufficient activities planned to achieve sales team revenue and profitability goals
- Providing framework for forecasting and reporting and ensures the entire sales team is using it consistently
- Effectively drive planning to the salesperson level including setting goals for # of clients, revenue, margin and activities as well as specific actions salespeople will take to achieve those goals
- Use accountability systems to ensure execution of plans
- Knows where "it's" working (type, profile, identification and execution) in order to explore additional opportunities
Building the Sales System
- Enhancing existing or capturing new critical sales systems and processes and getting them
uniformly implemented and adopted by each of the stores. Examples of systems and processes may include:
- Sales process
- Activity expectations
- Measurements (leading and lagging indicators) to track sales and marketing progress regularly
- Sales reporting
- Systems such as CRM, proposals, forecasting, etc.
- Expense management and expectations
- Compensation and incentive plans that set direction and drive the right behaviors (both monetary and non-monetary)
- Pipeline and forecasting methods
- Establishes a sales and marketing operating system "rhythm" in which the sales organization
- Routine meetings (1:1's, group, training, forecasting, management reporting)
- Communication and reporting tools that drive execution and accountability at all levels
- Measuring leading and lagging indicator to track progress regularly
- Setting expectations for sales and service tools and systems (including use and reporting)
- Incorporate continuous improvement into the sales process, tools and systems
Strategic Account Management
- Helps build strategic relationships by understanding and articulating company value, building relationships at all levels, gaining access to key decision makers, and leverages referrals
- Ability to build trust to establish client relationships in which confidence is placed, to establish a common ground or understanding and be credible in the industry
- Demonstrates understanding of how customer's organization operates and how to influence decisions and gain commitment
- Sells effectively by following a disciplined process, listening to the customer and leveraging his/her knowledge of the offer to appropriately differentiate and match company solutions to customer needs
- Intuitively understands what's happening in a conversation (strong conversational skills)
- Remains current on customer preferences and options, by attending meetings, shows and/or conferences
Communication and Collaboration
- Communicates information clearly and effectively, providing regular, open and transparent communications with the leadership team
- Submits reports to the Senior Management
Team on a timely basis
- Effective overview of progress towards goals and key milestones accomplished
- Challenges as they arise, including unexpected increases or decreases in demand for programs
- Stays aligned with the leadership team on goals, strategies, processes and key decisions
- Makes recommendations to leadership team on strategic direction by using their ability to see the big picture and put right pieces and structure in place for future growth when it comes to sales approach and territory planning (with an initial focus on exploring and developing potential growth areas)
- Develops and prioritizes key sales and marketing initiatives and establishing goals for the team
- Demonstrates understanding of how the Company's businesses operate including strategy, profitability and operations
- Presents a professional image at all times in appearance, communications, and interactions
- Follows processes and requirements by working within the guidelines established by company and industry
The Sales Lead will work closely and collaboratively with numerous colleagues at Polaris Adventures, including:
- General Manager - the Sales Lead is expected to work collaboratively with this critical flagship membership leadership team by provide regular, open and transparent communications regarding activities, performance, forecasts and plans
- Director - the Sales Lead is expected to work collaboratively with this critical flagship membership leadership team by provide regular, open and transparent communications regarding activities, performance, forecasts and plans
- Manager of Sales & Marketing - the Sales Lead reports to the Manager of Sales & Marketing and will work collaboratively with her regarding successes, challenges, changes as well as plans to develop the sales team
- Territory Sales Reps - currently there are two Territory Sales Reps at Polaris Adventures that are tasked with generating revenue from new targeted accounts, by building relationships, and generating opportunities. The Sales Lead will manage the Territory Sales Reps.
- Business Development Analyst - the Sales Lead will work closely with the Business Development Analyst on ideal clients and strategic market analysis.
Measurements and Indicators
In addition to all of the information outlined above, the following measurements will be utilized as the primary performance indicators. The VP of Sales & Marketing will work collaboratively to determine the specific goals and relative importance of each category.
- Revenue vs. plan
- Profitability/margin vs. plan
- Accuracy of forecasts
- Customer retention/growth
- Average account size
Developing the Sales Team
- % of salespeople on plan
- # of ride-alongs with salespeople in the field per month
- Measurements in place and tracked regularly
Planning & Forecasting
- Accuracy of forecasts
- # of plans submitted
- % of allotment actually sold
Building the Sales System
- # of team meetings
- # of one-on-one meetings held
- CRM effectiveness and use
- Sales process adoption
- Sales tools use
Strategic Account Management
- # of strategic opportunities
- # of relationships/contacts
- Strategic partnerships
Communication and Collaboration with Leadership Team
- Contribution in meetings
- Timely communication of needs and challenges
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years of sales experience
- Minimum of 3 years of sales leadership experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- The right candidate will also possess the following competencies and
- Ability to create and execute a sales plan
- Strong sales coaching and deal strategizing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to excel in a team-oriented atmosphere
- Individual selling skills and relationship building at multiple levels
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and CRM for preparing their own materials and reports
- Excellent communication skills - verbal, written and listening
The physical demands and environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally (if necessary)
- General office environment in which this position includes periods of telephone and computer work that may require sitting for periods of time
- Due to Covid-19, this position currently requires a low amount of travel, but in the future, will include travel throughout the United States and will include overnight stays.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2019 sales of $6.8 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Sales Lead
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Plymouth, Minnesota US