Design Assurance Engineer
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 4960
Requisition Number: R5065
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging
assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we
are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
The Design Assurance Engineer owns design risk mitigation process, documentation and assessment activities in support of the Polaris Product Development process (PDP). This role is responsible for ensuring design risk is mitigated through robust and comprehensive design process tools to achieve all safety, quality and customer objectives expected within PDP.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Own Polaris Design Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (DFMEA) and late/critical part change (CCPPI) initiatives. Partner with IS to ensure proper tools, software and databases deliver value. Identify as the DFMEA and CCPPI subject matter expert.
- Support manufacturing quality by creating thorough DFMEA, PFMEA and control plan mesh points.
- Support and cross-train in all Design Assurance process and assessment related activities. Focus areas include design review based on failure mode (DRBFM), design validation plan and report (DVP&R), program independent assessments (PIA), hazard analysis and risk assessment (HARA), design for manufacturing (DFM) and corrective action preventative action processes (CAPA).
- Create and maintain comprehensive Design Assurance process documentation and training materials to clearly outline guidelines and expectations for end users. Provide live training, facilitation and coaching on Design Assurance tools. Mentor and develop subject matter experts throughout the organization.
- Lead peer groups and steering teams in areas of focus to drive continuous improvement.
- Support requirements management maturity initiatives. Assist with the creation of component and system level specifications based on voice of customer (VOC) requirements. Work closely with program teams to define requirements that meet and exceed customer expectations.
- Assist Post Sales Surveillance and program teams by providing risk management support.
- Develop and maintain meaningful Design Assurance metrics to drive PDP accountability.
- Own reoccurring operating review metric data collection and presentation creation.
- Assist/own efforts that directly affect expansion and/or maturity of the Polaris Quality Operating System (QOS).
- Drive additional/future continuous process improvement across the design organization. Improve product quality while decreasing product development cycle time and cost. Analyze field issues in order to recommend and implement solutions.
- Lead special projects and support requests as assigned by the Design Assurance Director, Global Product Safety & Quality VP and Engineering Chief Technical Officer.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- BS degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Manufacturing, Industrial Engineering or closely related curriculum required.
- High level of safety, quality and customer focus.
- Strong people/teamwork skills; able to work well in a team environment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with internal & external cross functional teams.
- Must be a self-starter that requires minimal direction - quick learner with high level of ambition and urgency.
- Must be able to successfully work on multiple projects in parallel while prioritizing assignments accordingly - flexible when called upon.
- Creative, innovative, decisive and prone to action.
- Experience with DFMEA, DRBFM, DFM, HARA, DVP&R and cost of poor quality (COPQ) frameworks.
- Strong engineering and manufacturing knowledge as demonstrated by academic & practical experience. Statistical experience is a plus.
- Experience with problem solving and technical root cause analysis.
- Capable of building cross-functional processes, assessment/audit/metric foundations and applicable documentation to ensure clear expectations to drive accountability.
- Experience with test planning and coordination. Demonstrated understanding and experience with field, lab, full-vehicle, system and component testing.
- Good strategic vision and business knowledge.
- Powersports riding experience and interest preferred.
- +3 years of experience in an applicable Engineering field required.
- Located in Wyoming or Roseau MN.
- Mix of office, shop, lab, production and field support. Fast paced environment.
- Travel to other Polaris offices, plants and dealers as needed (10-15%).
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2019 sales of $6.8 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Design Assurance Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US