Sr. Intellectual Property Engineer- Electrical & Software
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 5505
Requisition Number: R6827
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging
assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we
are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
Polaris has always forged our own path, creating new ways to help people experience the outdoors to the fullest. Since our founding in 1954, we've been making high-quality, breakthrough products and broadening the view of powersports-whether it's launching the snowmobile industry, reinventing ATV categories year after year, developing the first purpose-built military vehicles, introducing a radical 3-wheel moto-roadster, or getting people to explore the outdoors by providing a network of ride and drive adventures. Come join Polaris on our next chapter into electrification, connectivity and digital by securing protection on these innovations as part of our intellectual property team.
This results-oriented role is key to protecting the company's products and services with a specific focus on utility and design patents for the electrical and software space. The individual will work closely with a diverse and talented group of engineers to build the patent portfolio and strategy. This includes identifying patentable inventions, searching for competitive patents and providing technical analysis, aiding engineers in drafting invention disclosures, managing IP challenges as well as driving and monitoring IP performance of Polaris and its competitors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain a strong knowledge of specific Polaris product lines, technologies, and industry technology applicable to project assignments.
- Integrate with assigned product and project teams.
- Monitor and assess competitive IP relevant to Polaris products.
- Perform and distribute regular competitive search reports for assigned product groups.
- Identify patents that may need further study or formal opinions.
- Provide periodic landscape overviews of competitive IP to the product groups and relevant project teams.
- Facilitate IP clearance reviews within project teams.
- Lead product patent mining sessions and prepare materials for outside counsel to be used in patent applications.
- Solicit, review, and approve invention disclosures.
- Collaborate with outside patent counsel to prepare and prosecute patent applications.
- Implement LEAN operation principles to create optimized and efficient IP processes.
- Prepare and present project team IP updates throughout the development process.
- Liaison between Engineering and Legal on patent agreements, litigation matters, and special development projects as required.
- Managing outside counsel in the U.S. and abroad while working within a budget.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and self-starter with proven ability to multi-task and perform in a fast-paced environment across a portfolio of projects.
- High technical aptitude and comfort level working with engineering and complex technology.
- Ability to read and understand patent laws, rules and procedures.
- Must be able to communicate complex concepts in easy to understand format.
- Skilled in the preparation of written training materials, user manuals, and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Applied leadership skills to facilitate meetings, presentations, and training sessions.
- Demonstrated data management and organization skills.
- Must be able to take ownership of projects and responsibilities in a fast-paced and ever-changing business environment.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or related field is required.
- 3+ years of experience, work with patent searching and patent applications preferred but not required.
- Experience developing documentation and delivering role-based training to large audiences.
- Knowledge of intellectual property database applications, processes, and procedures.
- Experience with patent mining, patent preparation and prosecution, portfolio development and patent searching.
- Registered patent agent/attorney a plus.
- Patent holder or inventor desired.
OTHER ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Very fast-paced, dynamic culture in an office environment.
Travel as needed (approximately 10-15%).
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2020 sales of $7.0 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Sr. Intellectual Property Engineer- Electrical & Software
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US