Legal Counsel - India
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka IN
Job Number: 5613
Requisition Number: R6745
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
The India Legal Counsel will assist with and manage a wide variety of legal matters to support the growth of Polaris Inc. (PII), a Fortune 500 publicly listed company on the NYSE with international operations in over 14 countries and sales in more than 100 countries (polaris.com). Polaris established a presence in India in 2011, and is growing the importance of its footprint in India as a manufacturer, importer and distributor of motorcycles sold under the Indian Motorcycle brand. Polaris' activities in India include a state-of-the-art shared service center for its International businesses, based in Bangalore. The India Legal Counsel will participate in the activities of an International Legal Department, act as Polaris India's corporate secretary, and will have responsibilities for, and support the growth of, Polaris' businesses and service center across India. In conjunction with the tasks that (s)he will be asked to perform or assist with, (s)he will be involved in the legal decision-making process at a global company group.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Overseeing corporate secretarial work, including periodic and ad hoc organizing of Board of Directors and Shareholders' meetings, reviewing and drafting minutes, and engaging with outside counsel to ensure full compliance with the Companies Act as well as with Polaris' standard policies and practices.
- Distribution and dealer agreement management, including drafting amendments and termination agreements.
- Manage third-party due diligence checks
- Daily legal support to Polaris' Bangalore-based shared service center, as well as to Polaris' wholly owned Faridabad-based distribution entity.
- Drafting and reviewing agreements, policies and standard operating processes relating to, amongst others, manufacturing, procurement, logistics, services, marketing, advertising, IT, real estate.
- Legal support of / collaboration with finance / tax teams and other functional in-house stakeholders on intercompany transactions, projects, and contentious matters.
- Manage product safety recalls and regulatory compliance issues
- Oversee data privacy compliance in conjunction with the lead privacy lawyer
- Manage in-country litigation
- Support M&A activity in the region and assist with the integration of acquired entities
- Support HR stakeholders with employment and labor matters, including compliance with Polaris' Code of Business Conduct and Ethics.
- Occasionally assist with product compliance and Indian regulatory matters.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Five to ten years' experience in an international corporate environment with MNCs, as member of a legal department or law firm.
- LL.B or LL.M. degree from a recognized Indian university, and CS degree by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India
- Good understanding of how to conduct background checks - sanction screening. Ability to determine whether red flags can be mitigated or should be raised to higher levels in the organization.
- Excellent command of English is mandatory.
- Dynamic personality with strong ethical values
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Office environment / remote
- Will require occasional travel
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2020 sales of $7.0 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Legal Counsel - India
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Bangalore, Karnataka IN