Associate Electrical Systems Engineer- Electric and Hybrid Powertrain Systems
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 5622
Requisition Number: R7272
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
The Associate Electric & Hybrid Powertrain Systems Engineer will be an integral part of the Electrification Systems Team within our Global Electrical, Embedded and Connected Systems (GEECS) team. They will be responsible for leading the design and development of electric & hybrid powertrain systems to meet vehicle performance goals working closely with a core team of Electrification & product team systems engineers in the design, development, & integration of the system into hybrid and battery electric vehicles manufactured by Polaris.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under mentorship guidance, performs detailed trade studies and design space exploration of electric &/or hybrid powertrain system (including the physical, electrical, and controls architecture & integration aspects) with emphasis on safety, quality, and cost; includes leading and/or participating in system, subsystem and/or vehicle level HARA and DFMEA's.
- Works with product teams to understand customer needs & use cases/cycles, develops powertrain system performance requirements, and works with analysis team to evaluate the performance of various architectures & analyze system-level tradeoffs
- Supports the development of a reasonable project schedule and from concept to production implementation of the system(s) including tooling, NRE, labor, BOM cost, etc.
- Documents electric &/or hybrid powertrain system requirements and decomposes into component and integration requirements.
- Works with chassis, engine, controller, software teams/engineers as needed to assign requirements, discuss tradeoffs, perform design reviews, & ensure successful integration
- Interacts with purchasing, testing, manufacturing, and external suppliers as needed for the successful completion of projects
- Contributes and executes elements of the of the electric & hybrid powertrain system &/or component functionality/reliability testing/validation, including issue root-causing and resolution.
- Supports vehicle level validation plan development related to electric & hybrid powertrain system functionality & reliability, reviews test results, and troubleshoots & resolves issues as needed
- Creates and maintains design documentation including system architecture and/or flow charts as needed
- Identifies & communicates risks related to the design, development, implementation, etc. of the electric & hybrid powertrain subsystem and/or its integration with other systems/subsystems; works with the team to prioritize and develop & execute mitigations & contingency plans
- Maintains & facilitates consistent, effective communication with Integrated Project Teams, Central Electrical Teams, functional experts, CAE/FAE/ALD, etc.
- Supports the development and continuous improvement of processes, tools, documentation, training materials, etc. to support a sustained capability within the organization
- Performs other duties/assignments as requested
- B.S. or higher in Electrical or Computer Engineering required.
- Contributing to the development of electrical powertrain systems. Including the selection and integration of energy storage, propulsion, and controls sub-systems & electrical components (Batteries, bms, contactors, overload protection, motors, power electronics, high voltage harnessing and connectors, controllers, and calibration)
- Understanding of various electric & hybrid vehicle architectures, systems, subsystems, etc. at various voltage levels: 36V/48V, 100V, & 350V+
- Ability to select and qualify high voltage connectors and cabling.
- Ability to assess Onboard Chargers and EVSE equipment including SAE J1772 standards
- Assessment and testing of system EMI/EMC
- Contributing to thermal analysis for heat balance of electrical system operation in air cooled and liquid cooled systems
- Understanding of electrical rotational machines and motor controller topologies, and how to produce trade off analysis to make a recommendation.
- Hands on experience using electrical/software test and analysis equipment
- Ability to apply engineering problem solving methods
- Highly developed computer skills using design/analysis and Microsoft Office software tools
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2020 sales of $7.0 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Associate Electrical Systems Engineer- Electric and Hybrid Powertrain Systems
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US