Electrical Platform Engineer - Motorcycles
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 5879
Requisition Number: R8176
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
As an Electrical Platform Engineer in the Indian Motorcycle Team, you will be responsible for performing activities concerned with the planning, design, validation, manufacturing, and field support of motorcycle electrical/electronic systems and components from concept to production implementation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Establishes reasonable project development schedules and resource plans from concept to production implementation using the Polaris Development Process.
- Participates in pre-Gate project definition meetings with Management, Industrial Design, Marketing, PG&A and Project teams as the electrical Subject Matter Expert (SME).
- Provides tooling, NRE, & BOM cost estimates to the Project team.
- Performs design trade-off analysis as required. Solicits resource estimates from the electrical Software, Hardware, and Design teams.
- Works closely with the Program Leader to ensure adequate Central Electrical resource budget/forecast.
Performs detailed studies and design of vehicle electrical systems according to Vehicle Specifications, with emphasis on safety, reliability, and cost.
- Creates and maintains design documentation including Level 2 Electrical System Specifications and requirements.
- Leads electrical harness schematic(s) design.
- Schedules appropriate Peer Team Reviews including harness routing reviews. Participates in component placement and design reviews for engine/chassis systems and is responsible for ensuring the designs meet electrical system requirements.
- Develops DFMEA and DVPR plan for new component and features.
- Manages electrical BOMs throughout all phases of a project.
- Performs other miscellaneous electrical engineering assignments as requested.
Interacts with project teams, central teams, purchasing, testing, manufacturing, and external suppliers as needed for the successful completion of projects.
- Attends weekly Design & Team project meetings.
- Assists the PDP purchasing lead with electrical supplier selection.
- Responsible for defining electrical system test requirements during manufacturing as well as any special process requirements.
- Coordinates with central embedded controls team on scope definition and successful integration of new software into a project.
- Attends weekly Action Register & IR meetings during the validation phase.
- Troubleshoots electrical/electronic systems when issues arise.
Works with Quality teams to analyze field problems in order to recommend and implement solutions.
Motorcycle Technology Development.
- Assists in Motorcycle technology planning and development.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
Critical Technical Skills
- 4 year B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) or equivalent and a minimum of 3 years work experience in an electrical engineering position.
- Highly developed computer skills using EE design/analysis.
- Engineering problem solving approach.
- Experience working with vehicle systems with multiple integrated controllers.
- Experience in all aspects of wire harness design including schematic creation, proper fusing, and design for manufacturing and durability.
- Experience with mechanical systems and engines.
- Hands on experience using electrical test and assembly equipment.
- Experience troubleshooting vehicle level electrical issues.
- Product development experience.
- Controller Area Network (CAN) experience.
Desirable Technical Skills
- Have or obtain Motorcycle driver's license endorsement.
- Basic software programming skills.
- EMC training and background.
- Fundamentals of control theory.
- Electrical machine, magnetics, and power electronics experience.
- Some travel required (not to exceed 15%) to support vehicle builds, testing, and interface with suppliers.
- Fast-paced office and lab environment.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2020 sales of $7.0 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Electrical Platform Engineer - Motorcycles
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US