Powertrain, Sr. Design Engineer
Location: Wyoming, Minnesota US
Job Number: 5925
Requisition Number: R8359
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
The successful applicant for this position will be responsible for leading multiple engine component and systems design activities from initial concept through to production while achieving the program milestones set forth in the Polaris Development Process (PDP)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Component and system level design ownership, handles multiple engine programs varying from clean sheet to minimal change
- Creates and releases 3D models, detailed drawings and performs analyses to support the above and supervise as well as participate in their release through the release cycle
- Establishes and adapts system/component design schedules from concept to production implementation in line with overall business requirements
- Determines ideal component manufacturing route to ensure overall design, performance, and cost conformance
- Prepares preliminary sketches and/or schematic diagrams and/or presentations to aid in the understanding and solution of engineering problems.
- Leads and participates in design reviews to ensure adequate input and involvement from all stakeholder groups
- Analyzes supplier/manufacturing, test and field problems and recommends possible solutions
- Lead and/or actively participate in peer teams to share and document knowledge and expertise
- Coordinates engineering efforts at supplier locations before, during and after a production launch to ensure specification accuracy and accountability and co-engineer powertrain components
- Creates and maintains DFMEA and/or DRBFM documentation for systems and components
- Coordinates work across multiple global cross functional product teams within (FEA, Supplier Quality) and outside (external design firms) of the Polaris organization.
- Supports run at rates (RARs) at supplier locations
- Coordinates, mentors, and supervises designers and engineers (PT design, CAE FEA, and others) within the powertrain design team
- Heavily involved in leading the product development cycle from a design perspective
- Involved in the powertrain system integration into the chassis
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Required-B.S.M.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or equivalent
- 5+ years of related design experience in an O.E. Environment (title commensurate with experience); 2+ years minimum with an M.S. degree
- Required-experience with a 3-D CAD modeling package, PTC Creo preferred
- 5+ years of significant component manufacturing and application experience a plus
- Experience with one or more of the following: Powertrain Design Categories: Engine Architecture, Power Cylinder, Cranktrain, Cylinder Head, Crankcases, Valvetrain, Intake and Exhaust Systems, Fuel Systems, Lubrication System, Starting and Charging Systems, Transmissions and Gears, Bolted Joint Analysis, Performance Development as related to engine design
- Experience with creation of specifications for system requirements and performance
- Experience in design related processes such as: GD&T, FMEA, DVP&R, DRBFM, dimensional tolerance stack-ups
- Superior technical knowledge as demonstrated by academic experience and broad practical experience in engine design
- Advanced understanding of FEA application for interpreting results
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced problem-solving skills and aptitude for striking a balance between application of academic theory and engineering judgment
- Good strategic vision and business knowledge
- Demonstrate ability to lead major process change in a way that enhances overall corporate performance
- High level of people skills, able to work in global team environment
- Microsoft software including Excel, Project, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Ability to multitask, managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Fast-paced and collaborative office environment
- Travel as needed (Typically less than 10%)
Note: Actual title will be dependent upon candidate experience and competency within Powertrain design.
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2020 sales of $7.0 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Powertrain, Sr. Design Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Wyoming, Minnesota US