Sr. Staff Studio Engineer
Location: Medina, Minnesota US
Job Number: 5948
Requisition Number: R8393
At Polaris Inc., we have fun doing what we love by driving change and innovation. We empower employees to take on challenging assignments and roles with an elevated level of responsibility in our agile working environment. Our people make us who we are, and we create incredible products and experiences that empower us to Think Outside.
As Sr Staff Studio Engineer, you provide strategy and optimal solutions in the early stages of platform/program development to determine major architectural tradeoffs with aesthetics and ergonomics in mind over the broad-spectrum of vehicles that Polaris manufactures. This is a pivotal role that works closely with Industrial Design, Product Management and the Engineering teams to develop industry leading platforms throughout the design process. You will guide, strategize and align consistency for Studio Engineering activities across the organization.
A Sr Staff Studio Engineer is responsible for:
Expanding a consistent Studio Engineering Strategy across Polaris' GBU's to:
- Optimize platform design to provide maximum flexibility and derivatives allowed by the segment & prioritize predevelopment resources.
- Increase early communication and sharing to separate platform and engineering concerns from styling issues as much as possible.
- Ultimately provide Polaris with a competitive advantage due to proper platforming, industry leading fit & finish and architectural best design practices.
- Hiring personnel for the Studio Engineering Team.
- Ensuring Industrial Design direction is being followed and not misunderstood.
- Bringing Design and Engineering together; being the liaison to generate solutions for technically challenging areas on new product development as well as show vehicles and future concepts.
- Managing and policing key legislative requirements, vehicle targets and hard points.
Skills and capabilities:
- A blend of creativity, a keen eye for aesthetic quality, and an understanding of the technical limitations and conceptual problem solving thereof.
- Experience developing multiple Powersports architectures for SXS, ATV, Snow, Motorcycle, Marine and Industrial equipment.
- Leading and mentoring a team of Studio Engineers and be fully prepared to take command of interface issues in order to plan the most efficient and effective route to a resolution.
- Pedigree of OEM experience in both high and low volume production segments.
- Desire keep abreast of technical developments within the industry, with reference to the evolution of competitor products.
This is a progressively paced, highly creative, problem solving key role of high importance within the design studio.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Directly generating Engineered solutions to technically challenging areas in new product development including platforming and defining vehicle architecture in the initial phase of program. (Timespent 70%)
2. Align consistency for Studio Engineering activities across the organization. (Time spent 10%)
3. Leading and building a team of Studio Engineers (Time spent 10%)
4. Hold appropriate meetings to facilitate efficient vehicle design (Time spent 10%)
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EDUCATION:
- BS in Engineering (MS preferred)
- 10+ Years' experience
- Excellent Communication, negotiation and collaboration skills
- Strong Leadership skills
- Flexibility with a changing environment
- 3D Modeling Skills required - Creo experience preferred
- Powersports and large OEM experience a plus
- Strong aesthetic aptitude required
Team-based, collaborative, fast-paced, office / studio environment
We are an ambitious, resourceful, and driven workforce, which empowers us to Think Outside. Apply today!
As the global leader in Powersports, Polaris Inc. (NYSE: PII) pioneers product breakthroughs and enriching experiences and services that have invited people to discover the joy of being outdoors since our founding in 1954. With annual 2020 sales of $7.0 billion, Polaris' high-quality product line-up includes the Polaris RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL side-by-side off-road vehicles; Sportsman® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® mid-size and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; snowmobiles; and deck, cruiser and pontoon boats, including industry-leading Bennington pontoons. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments, and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris' presence in adjacent markets includes military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. www.polaris.com
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Community / Marketing Title: Sr. Staff Studio Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Medina, Minnesota US